Red Sox 5, Tigers 1
28-22, 1st in AL Central (3.5 GU on MIN/CHI)
(Photo courtesy of Kirthmon F. Dozier/Detroit Free Press)
Honestly, I’ve been looking forward to this series for a while now. The Tigers have been holding their own in the AL Central, but there’s been some lingering doubt about how good the division REALLY is, especially with Detroit’s recent struggles against the Orioles.
That said, I’ve also been scared of this moment, as a sweep at the hands of the Bo’ Sox is entirely possible. Tonight did nothing to abate those feelings.
- Rick Porcello’s luck finally ran out, but damn what a run for the youngster. Despite not making it out of the fifth, this kid is still the real deal in my book. He’ll bounce back, but the Tigers may not in this series. With Dontrelle Willis and Armando “Sick Cat” Galarraga slated to finish up against the ‘Sawcks, two more losses may be imminent.
- In the same vein, if the Tigers keep stranding runners like they did tonight, you can also forget about any hope of winning a game in this series. Unfortunately, this has been an “on again, off again” problem for the Kitties all season, and it doesn’t look like it’s going away any time soon.
- Enough about the game already. How about that squirrel running around between innings 2 and 3. Ian over at Bless You Boys has all of the hilarity documented, so head over and have a laugh.
Probable starters for 6/3:
- Tigers – Armando Galarraga (3-5, 5.50 ERA, 39 SO)
- Red Sox – Josh Beckett (5-2, 4.60 ERA, 59 SO)