Twins 14, Tigers 10 (13 Inn.)
17-15, 1st in AL Central (Tied w/KC)
(Photo courtesy of Associated Press)
- Damn you and your walk off grand slam, Joe Crede!
- In his first game back in the rotation, Dontrelle Willis looked like…Dontrelle Willis. It was not a great return, with Willis going only 4.2 innings, while giving up four runs on eight hits. However, Willis did *kinda* get over a shaky start, and was able to throw strikes on 53 of his 87 pitches. He still has some work to do, though, and it will continue to be a roller coaster ride as he works his way back into big league form.
- The “bizarro” moment of the night had to be the sequence between home plate umpire Paul Schrieber, Magglio Ordonez and Tigers skipper Jim Leyland. After being called out on strikes, Ordonez stood at the plate to argue the call. Schrieber then put his hand on Ordonez’s back, apparently gesturing him towards the Tigers dugout. Leyland erupted, charged the field, was ejected and continued to yell at Schrieber. Leyland was obviously upset that Schrieber had touched a player, while it is explicitly prohibited for players or managers to make contact with an umpire. After the game, Leyland challenged reporters to “have the guts to write what they saw on the field.” Joe West, umpire-in-chief for the series, had no comment
Probable starters for 5/14:
- Tigers – Justin Verlander (3-2, 4.50 ERA, 56 SO)
- Twins – Scott Baker (1-4, 6.83 ERA, 21 SO)