White Sox 6, Tigers 0
14-13, 2nd in AL Central (3.0 GB of KC)
(Photo courtesy of the Associated Press)
- In case you haven’t noticed, when a pitcher comes out and dominates the Tigers on the mound, they get the dubious honor of having their name in the title with an “ed or “ied” attached to it the next day (see: “Greinked”). Mark Buehrle is definitely worthy of that honor today, after he went eight innings and gave up only one hit to the Tigers last night. The only thing stopping him from a “no-no” was a Placido Polanco double in the eighth. Buehrle is now 5-0 on the season, the first time he has started 5-0 in his career.
- After a hot start to open the season, Armando Galarraga continues to cool off, giving up five runs in the first inning last night. From that point on, he was solid, allowing only one more run in six total innings of work, but the damage was once again done by the Tigers pitching staff having one sub-par inning.
- The bigger news, however, is that the much maligned Dontrelle Willis is about to wrap up his minor league stint and will be returned up to the big club. Willis is now scheduled to start on Wednesday against the Twins. While he hasn’t been spectacular with the minor league teams, the brass obviously feels he’s ready for another shot with the Tigers. Here’s to ground balls and low pitch counts, kid.
It’s off to Cleveland to throw down with the Indians.
Probable starters for 5/8:
- Tigers – Justin Verlander (2-2, 5.66 ERA, 45 SO)
- Indians – Cliff Lee (1-4, 3.92 ERA, 28 SO)