I chose to open with Bono because I’m currently listening to “Beautiful Day” and found the song extra inspiring this week. In fact, it is just downright fitting.
- The Red Wings put the SWEEP on the Blue Jackets, and did it in an amazing fashion. Yes, the series was pretty much over heading into game 4, but watching Franzen score with under a minute to go and twist the knife even deeper into those Columbus fans was an awesome feeling. (This statement written entirely as a Michigan “I hate the Buckeyes” fan.)
- The Tigers completed a nine game road trip with a 5-4 record and sole possession of first place in the AL Central.
- The Pistons got routed and bounced out of the playoffs, which means that the exercise in futility that was Michael Curry’s first season is now over. No longer do I have to bite my tongue and try and write coherent thoughts and statements about the team and their fearless leader. I can now unleash my lexicon in a verbal assault on the eyes and ears of any who will listen. And believe me, the storm is coming. It also means I don’t have to pretend like I watched the ghastly performances of DEEETROIT BAAAASKETBALL each and every night. Thank God.
- But most of all, it’s a beautiful day because I AM HEADED TO DETROIT ON THURSDAY! Oh I cannot wait. A weekend in the Motor City for baseball, gambling, adult beverages and (hopefully) a Wings game sounds like the perfect remedy for my stressed out mind. For anyone interested in hanging out, drop me a line (christopher DOT j DOT hollis @ gmail DOT com) or hit me up on twitter (@chollis). Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
- Red Wings: 2-0
- Tigers: 3-3
- Pistons: 0-3
- Michigan Baseball: 2-3
Grand total: 7-9
Team of the Week
Red Wings. See: “Torturing Columbus fans/city” comment above. And they swept them. No contest.
Without further ado, the matchups for the week:
- **I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Game 1 to take place on Thursday or Saturday night, as I can definitely make one of those since they don’t interfere with Tigers baseball. C’mon hockey gods!
- Monday, April 27 vs. New York Yankees – 7:05 PM (FS Detroit)
- Tuesday, April 28 vs. New York Yankees – 7:05 PM (FS Detroit)
- Wednesday, April 29 vs. New York Yankees – 7:05 PM (FS Detroit)
- Friday, May 1 vs. Cleveland – 7:05 PM (FS Detroit)
- Saturday, May 2 vs. Cleveland – 3:40 PM (FOX)
- Sunday, May 3 vs. Cleveland – 1:05 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Friday, May 1 at Ohio State – 7:00 PM
- Saturday, May 2 at Ohio State – 1:00 PM
- Sunday, May 3 at Ohio State – 1:00 PM
Game of the Week
Tigers: Friday, May 1 vs. Cleveland – 7:05 PM (FS Detroit)
Look, it’s early in the season, so this game can’t have alot of significance as it pertains to the standings, but I don’t care. It’s my first trip to the COPA in a long time. I’m pumped. Deal with it.
Administrative Stuff: I will be taking the computer with me and will be blogging at random points throughout the trip. Have a question? Ask. I’m also hoping to meet up with a bunch of the local folks on twitter, so look for me to be updating regularly.
And since I have a five hour flight, I have plenty of time to get some new posts put together. So rather than pounding out a disjointed column late at night, some of the upcoming ones might actually make some sense. Might.