**This was “scheduled” to post earlier today. As you can tell, it didn’t. Ugh.
Angels 4, Tigers 3
7-6, 3rd in AL Central (0.5 GB)
(Photo Courtesy of Danny Moloshok/AP)
- Just when you thought the bullpen was getting it figured out, another late letdown rears its ugly head. This time it was Brandon Lyon giving up a double to Gary Matthews, Jr. to score the go-ahead run. Honestly, I can’t say I am that surprised. While watching the Tigers here in Seattle last weekend (especially Sunday), the bullpen continued to make it interesting and put quality starts at risk. There is still work to be done, but you have to hope that outings like this serve as a teaching tool for some of the younger guys coming in late in the game. Otherwise, there isn’t alot to be happy about.
- Speaking of quality starts, Armando Gallaraga did not have one tonight. After getting up to 75 pitches in the third inning, it was nothing short of a miracle that Gallaraga made it to the fifth. After two sparkling starts to open the season, let’s hope that this was just an anomaly.
- And to tie it all together, let’s hope Curtis Granderson’s two homer performance tonight WASN’T an anomaly. Nice to see the spark plug get it going, but this team is still built to win games when scoring some runs. When the lineup is hitting, the boys are winning.
Probable starters for 4/22:
- Tigers – Justin Verlander (0-2, 7.88 ERA, 20 SO)
- Angels – Joe Saunders (2-1, 2.18 ERA, 7 SO)