Sat: Tigers 4, Rangers 3
Sun: Tigers 6, Rangers 4
4-3, 1st in AL Central (0.5 GL)
(Courtesy of Julian H. Gonzalez/Detroit Free Press)
- Nothing remedies starting the season with a 1 –3 record quite like coming home and pulling off the three game sweep. And it’s not just the wins, it’s how this team did it. A dominant performance, a come-from-behind win and solid bullpen work showed that this team can indeed put it together and win in different ways. This is what championship teams do. I’m not saying this is a championship team. I’m just saying that they have the ability to play high caliber baseball and find wins in different situations. It’s nice to gain that confidence early.
- Tip of the hat to Brandon Lyon for his work this weekend. After blowing a lead for Edwin Jackson this week in Toronto, Lyon came in and and pitched a perfect seventh and eight innings today, en route to his first win of the season. Also worth a nod is Nate Robertson, who came out of the bullpen on Saturday and picked up a win. Good things from the relievers this weekend.
- How about Brandon Inge? A year ago, he was the odd man out in the “dream lineup” and was basically written off by Tigers fans. This year? By far the first week MVP and quickly moving back towards being the “Kris Draper” workhorse type figure for this club.
Probable starters for 4/13:
- Tigers – Zach Miner (1-0, 1.59 ERA, 4 SO)
- White Sox – Gavin Floyd (0-1, 2.57 ERA, 9 SO)