Blue Jays 6, Tigers 2
1-3, 4th in AL Central (1.5 GB)
(Courtesy Nathan Denette/AP)
- Rick Porcello got his first start today for the Tigers and managed to put together a respectable debut. Porcello have up four runs on nine hits over five innings of work, but did manage to strike out four on some nasty pitches. However, he struggled to get outs quickly, and also gave up a pair of home runs. Verdict? He’s going to be very good, but might need some time in the minors when Jeremy Bonderman returns.
- Welcome back Nate Robertson! After your incessant complaining about not being a starter, your impressive relief outing earlier this week made some of us second guess why you were in the bullpen. But today you reminded us exactly why you aren’t in the rotation, as you came in and gave up a backbreaking double to make it a 4-2 game. That 2/3 of an inning pretty much put any hope of a comeback out to pasture.
- Is it time to start questioning Jim Leyland when it comes to leaving pitchers on the mound? He took some (what I thought at the time was) undeserved heat when he failed to go get Edwin Jackson earlier this week, but I felt like he left Porcello out there way too long. You started to get the feeling that Porcello was losing it in the fifth, and I was surprised to see him come back for the sixth. Yes, the Tigers were still in the game, and I understand you want to let the kid work and see what he is made of, but it wound up costing us the game. Doesn’t say much for Leyland’s faith in the bullpen.
Probable starters for 4/10:
- Tigers – Armando Gallaraga (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
- Rangers – Kris Benson (0-0, 0.00 ERA)