Happy Monday everyone! First, let me apologize for my lack of updates over the the past week. Work has been busy and posts have waned. However, I was able to do quite a bit of thinking, so expect some solid content over the next few days.
OK, with that out of the way, let’s get down to business; it was a busy, busy week, with lots of implications.
- Michigan Hockey: Bye
- Michigan Basketball: 1-0
- Red Wings: 2-1
- Pistons: 2-1
- Michigan Baseball: 3-1*
Grand total: 8-3 (Michigan baseball’s loss was in an exhibition against the New York Mets)
Adjusted total: 8-2
HEYYYO! What a week!
- Michigan hockey hung out, rested and watched to see who they would draw in the CCHA Tournament 2nd Round.
- Michigan basketball basically took the monkey that has been on their back since 1998 (1995 if you follow the post-infraction records) and rallied from a double digit deficit to beat Minnesota in Minneapolis and all but guarantee their bid to the Dance.
- The Red Wings blanked the Blues, hung on against the Avs, and then gave up eight goals for the second straight Saturday in a loss to the Blue Jackets. Expect some ravings on this one later this week.
- The Pistons won a pair at home against Denver and Golden State before dropping a road game at Atlanta.
- Michigan baseball swept Siena in a three game series on Port St. Lucie, FL before falling 18-7 to the Mets in an exhibition game. At least we avoided pissing off Billy Wagner with a bunt this year. FTR, Wagner is still a complete DB.
Team of the Week honors? Right.
Hoops got the win they needed, 90% of the teams on the bubble collapsed, and now most experts have said the Wolverines should start shining up those dancing shoes. Me? I’d like to see one more win in the Big Ten tournament before I’m 100% comfortable, but it was really difficult to not get excited when the final buzzer sounded in Minneapolis.
Which brings us to…
- Friday, March 13 vs. Western Michigan (CCHA Tournament) – 7:35 PM (Comcast)
- Saturday, March 14 vs. Western Michigan (CCHA Tournament) – 7:05 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Sunday, March 15 vs. Western Michigan (If Needed) – TBA
- Thursday, March 12 vs. Iowa (Bid Ten Tournament) – 2:30 PM (ESPN2)
- Tuesday, March 10 vs. Phoenix – 7:30 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Thursday, March 12 vs. Calgary – 7:00 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Saturday, March 14 at St. Louis – 2:00 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Sunday, March 15 at Columbus – 5:00 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Monday, March 9 vs. Orlando – 7:30 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Wednesday, March 11 vs. New York – 7:30 PM (FSN Detroit/NBA TV)
- Friday, March 13 at Toronto – 7:00 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Sunday, March 15 vs. Memphis – 1:00 PM (FSN Detroit)
- Friday, March 13 at Arizona – 9:00 PM
- Saturday, March 14 at Arizona – 8:00 PM
- Sunday, March 15 at Arizona – 1:00 PM
Tigers SPRING TRAINING fun continues with matchups against Florida, St. Louis, the Yankees, the Mets, Toronto and Washington.
Game of the Week
Michigan Sports Extravaganza!!!
Hockey, hoops and baseball are all ‘can’t miss’ action this week. Hockey looks to advance to the Joe, Hoops looks to secure a tourney bid, and Baseball looks to make a statement against a solid Arizona squad in Tucson. GO BLUE!
Non-Michigan/Detroit Game You Shouldn’t Miss
Any conference basketball tournament game. It’s like a free preview to March Madness. Enough said.